PERT | Pharmacy Emergency Response Team (PERT)
Seeking New Members for Riverside County's Pharmacy Emergency Response Team!
What is the Pharmacy Emergency Response Team (PERT)?
- PERT consists of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy students who form a response team.
- Members are identified as volunteers who are called upon to serve their community during a large scale disaster in which a public health emergency (such as a terrorist attack, flu outbreak, or earthquake) is declared.
Why are Pharmacy Personnel Needed?
- To dispense medication to the general public in an attempt to save the lives of the citizens within Riverside County.
- PERT members can also provide dosage or vaccination information, provide triage, physical assessment and health screenings, collect epidemiologic data or administer vaccines.
- PERT volunteers will help increase our ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from a large public health emergency.
What are the benefits of being a PERT member?
- Utilize your skills and expertise to benefit the health of Riverside County residents.
- Receive valuable training with available CEUs.
- Experience professional growth as you network with others in your field.
- Be part of a California State Association of Counties (CSAC) award winning team and program.
The Role of the Pharmacist during a Disaster
The events of September 11, 2001 changed the face of our nation forever. Sadly, we must now be on the alert for the atrocities of potential terrorist attacks. One potential terrorist weapon would be the use of a biological agent to cause illness and death. The Riverside County Emergency Management Department, Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Division is preparing for such an event in collaboration with our partners in the medical health, fire, and law enforcement communities. One primary area of preparedness involves the mass distribution of pharmaceuticals or vaccines should the need arise in Riverside County.
In order to be prepared, the expertise and participation of pharmacists is needed to assist in the development and implementation of plans for conducting mass prophylaxis. Members of the team assist with the development and review of written plans and are offered the opportunity to work at a mass prophylaxis distribution site, should an event occur.
The Riverside County Emergency Management Department, Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Division is reaching out to pharmacists who either live or work in Riverside County to offer education and training on the Department’s Mass Prophylaxis plans. If you are interested in participating in the PERT, please apply online, or contact the Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Division at 951-358-7100, and we will be happy to provide you with details on becoming a PERT member.
How to Apply
Individuals interested in applying to volunteer with the Pharmacy Emergency Response Team (PERT) should:
Apply online at https://healthcarevolunteers.ca.gov
Contact the program coordinator to apply over the phone 951-358-7100
Already a member?
PERT Member Training Requirements: